(C) Vin Callcut 2002-2013 Small extracts
can be used with acknowledgements to 'Oldcopper.org website'.
Helpful comments are very welcome.
& Son, 91-96 Great Hampton Street & 66 Hockley Street, Birmingham, were established before 1865 as James Hinks and made many oil lamps and similar products.
James and Joseph Hinks patented the duplex burner and the extinguisher lever in 1865.
This was much better than the straight single wick burner and the idea was
copied by others when the patent expired. They also invented the
idea of using a key to raise the gallery to facilitate lighting the burner
without the need to remove the glass chimney.
Phoenix Patent, an interesting single wick design with an internal
self-extinguishing ability given by a sphere of steel that works in an
internal conical guide and extinguishes the wick if the lamp is upset.
No2 Triple is a variation on the Duplex burner but why it is called
'Triple' is not obvious.