Lamp Makers A

Home Up Lamp Makers A Lamp Makers S Lamp Burners European Manufacturers

(C) Vin Callcut 2002-2014.  Small extracts can be used with acknowledgements to 'Oldcopper.org' website. 

Helpful comments are very welcome.

Aladdin Lamps
Joseph Hinks
Messenger & Sons
E Miller Co.

 

 

Lamp Makers A - R

 

Lamp Makers A - R

Lamp Makers S-Z
     
      Aladdin,  Originally the Mantle Lamp Company, USA.  Their first Aladdin lamp was produced in 1909.             SEE: Aladdin Lamps
     
     Albion Lamp Company,  Aston Booth Lamp Works, Aston, Birmingham.  More information wanted More information wanted
     
     Beacon Light - more details welcome.
     
      Benham and Froud Benham & Froud
     
    W A S Benson     -  more details are included on the   WAS Benson page.
    WAS Benson
    Benton & Stone, Bracebridge Street (ENOTS), by 1926 also at Aston Brook Street, art metal workers and makers of gas fittings, garden syringes and sprays and motor accessories.  Trade Mark 'ENOTS'.  This photo by Peter Grantham.
     
     
   
     
  Birmingham Brass Co., Conn.  USA Birmingham Brass USA
     
  Thos. Edward Bladon & Son, 4, James St., Birmingham (1886), 46, 99 & 101, Northwood Street, Hockley, Birmingham, (previously John Bladon of Constitution Hill (K1829), then William Erhard Bladen, c1905) makers of cart lamps. tinplate and blowlamps. 
     
     
     
    Brevetes L & B -see Lempreur & Bernard, Lampes Belges, below.

 

     
   Bullpitt & Sons, 46, Northwood Street, Birmingham, later 153, Camden Street, taken over by BSR Group in the 1970's. Made lamps, copper presswork for kettles, lamps etc., later 'Swan' Brand kettles.
      
     
    Burmos -  Towson & Coxson, Alliance Works, Esington Street., gas fittings, Burmos stoves and blowlamps. BURMOS
     
    Eltex - Trade name of George Elt Ltd. of Worcester.  They made heaters used for greenhouses and elsewhere, frequently with burners from other makers.
     
  These winder knobs are on a duplex lamp burner.
     
    Erich & Graetz, Berlin, originators of the Matador burner.
     
  Eight pointed star used on many burners, especially those supplied to other lamp manufacturers.  This is on a filler cap, the winder knob shown below.
     
  Winder button on an Erich and Graetz lamp.  European Manufacturers
     
    Evered & Co., Surrey Works Lewisham Road, Smethwick. trademark shield with RE&S inside, E&C underneath, bedsteads, gas and electric fittings, solid and brass cased steel tubes.

  These marks are on oil lamps, (courtesy Alex Marrack).

     
   
     
  Winder buttons on an Evered No3 duplex burner. Evered & Co Ltd, London & Birmingham. (Thanks to Elaine Barclay)
     
    Falk Stadelmann & Co., Veritas House, Lionel Street, Birmingham, suppliers of oil lamps and components. Originally a German firm, they later incorporated Veritas, Wright and Butler (c1912), Palmer & Co. of London, W Williams & Son of Birmingham and, by 1933, James Hinks & Son but continued use of the old trade names for some time. Their main warehouse depot was at Veritas House, 83-93 Farringdon Road, London by the late 1930s. 

     
     Famos  -  brand name used by Falk Stadelmann.  
     
    Gardun, Macon, France.
     
    Joseph Hinks & Son,  91-96 Great Hampton Street & 66 Hockley Street, Birmingham, were established before 1865 as James Hinks and made many oil lamps and similar products. They patented the duplex burner and the extinguisher lever in 1865.  This was much better than the straight single wick burner and the idea was copied by others when the patent expired. Joseph Hinks
 

http://www.parkers-paraffinalia.co.uk/windmeup.htmHinks

     
    Howes & Burley, Birmingham,  automotive lamp manufacturers.   
     
    Kosmos Brenner, a distinctive circular burner that comes with a tall narrow chimney with patent 'pinch'.
     
    Kynoch Ltd., Lion Works, Witton, originally early 19th century candlemakers but diversified to lamps and eventually pressure stove for paraffin (kerosene). They later became part of ICI Metals Division, then IMI plc.
     
   
     
  Lampe Nationale, brand name of Lewtas, Mcr, details to be added.  The Design Registration number 155641 is on the filler cap of a fount with circular wick.  Interestingly, that number was issued to May and Padmore of Birmingham on the 2nd September 1890.
     
  Lampe Nationale wick winder button.
     
    Lempreur & Bernard, Lampes Belges, maker of paraffin lamps and gas fittings with characteristic circular burners. Trade mark 'L & B' and sun seen on wick winders.
     
     Lucas, Harry, then Joseph Lucas & Co. Ltd.  Great King Street, Birmingham, making lamps since 1876.  This makers plate is on a 'King of the Road' oil lamp.
    Lucas Industries
    Samuel S Messenger & Sons. Founded before 1835 in Gloucester Place, Alston Street, Birmingham, moved to 19&20 Broad Street, making candelabra, lamps and gas fittings, exhibitor at 1851 Great Exhibition and others. The name occurs in the 1810s as Messenger and Phipson of Broad Street, Birmingham, manufacturers of plated goods.  Messenger & Sons
     
  Midland Lighting Co,  7, Corporation Street, Birmingham with Sun Lamp Works, Leopold Street, Birmingham until about 1905, using the 'In Lux Way' trademark, manufacturers and agents for Thermidor Belge centre draft burners.
  http://www.lampguild.org/QandApage/archives/Q0003135.htm
    Edward Miller Co., Meriden, CT. started in the 1844 by Horation N Howard but taken over in 1845 by Edward Miller, forming Edward Miller & Co in 1866 to take advantage of the kerosene now available from Titusville and elsewhere. A rolling mill was installed to produce the required quantity and quality of brass. They made Rochester Lamps from 1884 to 1892.    Millers also made other brassware - there is a mark is under a brass cooking kettle and dated 1873.. E Miller Co.
 

http://www.thelampworks.com/lw_companies_miller.htm

     
     
    Monitor Engineering & Oil Appliances LtdBased in Stechford, Birmingham, England, making stoves & blowlamps. They were owned from an early stage by W. Parkinson & Co. later incorporated into Parkinson Cowen Ltd, manufacturers of gas meters, central heating systems & domestic cookers. Parkinson Cowen later became part of the British corporate giant Thorn EMI before being sold to Swedish company Electrolux in 1987 and subsequently closed. MONITOR

Photo to come.

 

    Monitor Engineering & Oil Appliances Ltd - Classic Camp Stoves - The online resource for the collector & enthusiast
  Classic Camp Stoves Website  
     
  Powell and Hanmer, P & H Ltd., Chester Street, Aston Manor, Birmingham (1929), 4, Ernest Street, B1 machined components, motor accessories including carbide/acetylene and electric lamps.  (Photo thanks to Colin Ansell)
     
    Rippingilles, details to be added.
    These two photos are of a lamp owned by Alan Deacon, Historic Lighting Club
     
    The Rochester Lamp Company founded in 1844 by Charles Stanford Upton using a patent for an improved air distribution in centre-draft lamps. Address 42 Park Place and 37 Barclay Street, New York City and branches in London, Paris and Chicago. From 1884 to 1892 they were made by Edward Miller and Company. Thereafter they were made as 'New Rochester' lamps by The Bridgeport Brass Co. 
 

http://www.thelampworks.com/lw_companies_rochester.htm

     
 

        Lamp Makers S-Z

 
     
 

Back:   Special Topics

Makers and their Marks

Home Page